Walls are the most important element of every house and how you dress them up greatly determines the personality of your home. Every home is special and so is every room. Painted walls in different hues add warmth and life to a home, but it may not be always possible to try out new color schemes on walls for various reasons like you may have a time constraint, restricted budget, lack of manpower, etc. However, for a quick wall makeover that will truly perk up the interiors as well as be easy on the pocket you can try out experimenting with wallpapers.
Wallpapers come in various textures, colors and prints. It can be quite confusing to choose a wallpaper considering availability of wide variety. You get small and large prints, polka dots, floral prints, geometric designs, intricate motifs, landscapes, etc. But in addition to simply picking a design for a wallpaper there are a few other important decisions that you ought to take like,
- Do you wish to put wallpaper on all the walls or simply create a focal point by opting for a single wall
- Size of the room
- Height of the ceiling
- Whether you will go for a DIY project or hire professional help
- Your budget
Once you have made a note of these things, you can go about selecting the appropriate wallpaper keeping in mind a few thumb rules that will give you the desired results. Wallpapers come in different hues, plain and printed as well as textures. Apart from giving a visual makeover, they also enhance various physical aspects like spaciousness, restrictive, vibrancy, warmth, etc. As we speak of wallpapers keeping in mind a few things listed below will certainly help:
- If you are planning to paper a small room, then dark colors with small prints can be a disaster. Opt for bigger light colored big prints to create an illusion of space
- Pick papers with light metallic finishes to infuse an illuminated look and feel.
- If the ceiling of the room that you plan to paper is low, then go for dip dyes or prints that have dark colors at the bottom that fade out into lighter shades towards the ceiling.
- Opt for small prints if you want to create a sense of peace and calm.
- Large prints work well for large rooms.
- If you are putting paper only on one wall, you can install a mirror on the opposite wall for illusionary space.
- Wallpapers instantly breathe life into a space, be it a corridor or a closet corner. Paper these areas for a brightening effect.
- For bedrooms it is best to paper the wall behind the headboard. This way you can add something dramatic yet not disrupt the peaceful ambience.
- Also check for the right flow of design in case of corners, crevices on walls or cuts in the wallpaper.
- If you are opting for a DIY project, make sure that you have the right equipment, adhesive, etc. for a perfect finish. Hire help if necessary.
The only flip side of wallpapers is their removal which needs to be done with care and caution so as to not damage the wall. There are quite a few methods to go about scraping off wallpaper off the wall, you simply need to choose the one you think you can do. Alternatively hiring professional help for the task is the best idea!