Pine wood is a popular choice when it comes to furniture. It has its own texture and is inherently soft. Its surface is irregular and this what makes it special and different from other woods. If you are choosing some furniture made from this wood, there are a few dos and don’ts that you have to follow to keep it in good shape.
Dos and Don’ts
• Do not place any pine wood furniture in direct sunlight. They are not good for outdoor use. When placed indoors they need to be kept at a place totally away from sunlight. Direct sunlight has harsh UV rays that can be very damaging. They may cause the wood to crack because pine wood is very sensitive to external temperatures. Hence it is best to keep them at places where temperatures are stable minus frequent fluctuations.
• Do not keep anything too hot or cold on pine wood furniture. Always use a place mat!
• Do not use any chemical to clean such wood. This also includes simple detergent solutions. If you have to it is advisable to test on a small area to check for changes and then use on rest of the surface. Use cleaning agents that are recommended. Using any other substance will have adverse effect.
• Do remember to polish or wax pine wood furniture from time to time. This can be done with the help of ready to use waxes but do remember to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Do inspect your pine wood furniture at regular intervals to check for irregularities. Since this wood is vulnerable to temperatures, expanding and shrinking is quite common. This leads to loosening of screws and other fixtures.